Sunday, January 24, 2010

Romania - Snow :-)


Hi folks,

Reached Romania (Bucharest - OTP Airport) on the 24th Jan 2010..There were very few travellers on the DXB - OTP route (For simplers...its Dubai - Bucharest route operated by Tarom - Official Airline of Romania) and after being quizzed & looked on as an alien by both Immigration & Customs..came out of the airport only to be hit by a Wave of Cold Air..!!

I couldnt imagine myself being amidst -20 Deg C..Yeah that negative 20..!! I was warned by my counterpart that Bucharest had received 50 cm of snow and I had "brushed" it off..!! The first picture (taken in the parking lot with my fingers trying their best to locate the "click" button :-))

The Ground is infact all muddy and you may observe the heap of snow in the backdrop..!! Perhaps more than 50 cm mightve dropped in..!!In a nutshell...its all White and all Snow..!!!!!

This photo was taken just while leaving the parking lot..!!! Tons & tons of snow everywhere...!! 


Just to give you an idea what real Snowing means...here's a picture of a car "draped" in snow..!!!! I was simply amazed and went "click-happy" while the taxi driver was probably thinking "one crazy nut snapping at regular happenings"!!!!!


I could manage to reach my hotel (Hotel Ibis - Gara De Nord) while savoring the scenario as probably for another million years, this sight wouldnt be available in Mumbai :-) :-) Checking out from the room, the view of the road & the surrounding, more pics.. :-)

The below pic shows a car draped in snow (will write more about that) and you can also see a stairway leading down (thats the way to reach Gara De Nord station) from where you can take a train straight to either the Palace (parliament) or the Airport. The Hotel is located in central city with easy access to station, city centre & the airport (Airport is approx 20 kms away).  Also the box with blue coloring is actually the bus / tram station..!! Again...you may note its not having white "lids" but they are covered in totality with snow :-) :-) (Too much of Snow i guess!!)









This picture shows more cars bearing the brunt of snow 

So, I guess ive spoken too much..!!! Quite logical as this is the first time Ive seen snow and believe me..im simply amazed..!! This might be a common phenomenon & regular experience to most folks overseas but for a person like me, having spent a major chunk in Bangalore and Mumbai, this is indeed a "welcome surprise"..!!I'm also finding finer aspects to capture & put it in my blog..!! I havent mustered enough courage to discover the city that is reeling under negative temperature..but I'm sure the week ahead holds exciting happenings..!!

So as the week lingers on, I'm sure I can add to this list of snaps, unless I find myself turning into a "Smiling Snowman"..!!! :-) :-)

Finally..Happy "Snowing"..oops...Happy Reading and as usual

Comments Are Indeed Welcome..!!!!

3 comments:

Aparna said...

You should be throwing snow balls! :p

CD said...

Awesome pics!! However, I'm hoping u r keeping urself warm!!! :) When r u back to Mumbai?

Unknown said...

Nice pics!! It looks amazing with all the snow! Hope you get a chance to go around the city and post more snaps. Happy clicking!